quota problem

Karl Boyken boyken at divms.uiowa.edu
Thu Oct 11 11:03:45 EDT 2007

We're running Cyrus IMAPD 2.3.9 on RedHat Enterprise Server 5 (kernel
2.6.18-8.1.10), on an HP ProLiant DL385 G2, a four-core 64-bit machine.
  Yesterday, I restored a deleted mailbox, and that seems to have
corrupted the disk usage information for about 70 of our users (out of
about 730), so that they appeared to be using much more disk space than
they actually were, putting them over quota.

Here's the basic process I use (as our cyrus user) to restore mailboxes:

   create(user/mailbox_name, partition)
   cd mailbox_dir
   tar -zxpf gzipped_mailbox_tarball
   reconstruct -r -f user/mailbox_name
   set_acl(user/mailbox_name, mailbox_name, lrswipcda)
   quota -f

Am I doing something wrong here that might have triggered the quota problem?

Also, I noticed in the man page for quota these two seemingly
contradictory sentences:

"If any optional mailbox-prefix arguments are given, the quota listing
(and inconsistency fixing) is limited to quota roots with names that
start with one of the given prefixes."

"Running quota with both the -f option and mailbox-prefix arguments is
not recommended."

So, you _can_ run "quota -f mailbox", but you shouldn't???

Karl Boyken

--
Karl Boyken, system administrator
karl-boyken at uiowa.edu
303A MLH, Dept. of Comp. Sci.
http://www.cs.uiowa.edu/~boyken/
The U. of Iowa, Iowa City, IA  52242   319-335-2730 (voice)
319-335-3668 (fax)