Invalid username when creating mailboxes

Steve Gibson cyrus-admin at insumo.com.au
Wed Oct 10 21:50:02 EDT 2007

Hi All,

I'm in the process of moving our email system over to a
Cyrus/OpenGroupware based system, however I'm having trouble with usernames.

Usual stats...
CentOS 4.5 - kernel 2.6.9-55.0.2.EL
cyrus-imapd-2.2.12-8.1.RHEL4
cyrus-sasl-2.1.19-5.EL4

We currently authenticate via PAM/Winbind. Thus all usernames take the
form DOMAIN\username. This hasn't been a problem for authentication. We
have imapd talking to saslauthd, which is speaking PAM, which talks
Winbind. No problem, users with a domain\username login authenticate
without a problem.

Our problem arises when we try to create an INBOX for one of these
users. Set up for autocreate, we get the following log entry...

Oct 10 18:07:14 mail imap[11386]: login: localhost.insumo.net.au
[127.0.0.1] insumo\sgibson plaintext User logged in
Oct 10 18:07:14 mail imap[11386]: autocreateinbox: User insumo\sgibson,
INBOX failed. Invalid mailbox name

And we get the same problems when trying to create using cyradm. Using a
single slash, we get an INBOX for insumosgibson, and using a double
slash, we get an invalid mailbox name.

So, has anyone experieced this, and is there a solution? Or, is there
any standard way to map the \ to a character that is valid in a mailbox
name? Or is my only resort patching the source?

Thanks in advance
Steve