LIST is slow for 35K mailboxes

Pascal Gienger Pascal.Gienger at uni-konstanz.de
Tue Oct 9 13:40:36 EDT 2007

Ian G Batten <ian.batten at uk.fujitsu.com> wrote:

> On 09 Oct 07, at 1522, Blake Hudson wrote:
>>>
>> Could database type differences (or contention) be an issue here? What
>> database format are each of you using?
>
> Yes.  With skiplist (took me several stabs at it to get the
> conversion to work) it takes 0.19s.  Versus ~250s with BDB.  A slight
> difference.  Thanks for pointing me at the idea.

Yes, this is the expected result. Skiplist is good in enumerating as there
is always a "lane" pointing from one mailbox to the next one without
skipping.

Berkeley DB is very fast in doing _real_ random accesses and to insert new
or changed values, but it does a lousy lob in enumerating "entries"
alphabetically or numerically. So it is perfect to use Berkeley for the tls
session database, for annotations, for duplicate delivery suppression and -
as Bron Gondwana does - to cache status data.

Pascal