LARGE single-system Cyrus installs?

Rob Mueller robm at fastmail.fm
Sat Oct 6 06:08:42 EDT 2007

>> Are you comparing an "old" reiserfs partition with a "new" ext3 one where
>> you've just copied the email over to? If so, that's not a fair
>> comparison.
>
> No, a newly created partitions in both cases. Fragmented partitions are
> slower still of course.

That's strange. What mount options are/were you using? We use/used:

reiserfs - rw,noatime,nodiratime,notail,data=journal
ext3 - noatime,nodiratime,data=journal

If you weren't using "notail" on reiserfs, that would definitely have a
performance impact.

> Okay, I think that we had a different kernel memory bug.
>
> We were running out of memory after 24 hours, and a 20 line test program
> could exhaust memory in seconds. This bug was in SLES four years back, and
> it was still there the last time that I looked (some months back now).

Wow weird, must be something different. What kernel was it? Do you know
where the memory leak was occuring?

We never encountered anything that would exhaust memory like that. We did
encounter a bug which caused a deadlock inversion problem and would causes
processes to get stuck in D state. It appears the code path that causes this
has been totally removed sometime between 2.6.20 and 2.6.22, so I think we
can finally drop that 1 line patch we've had to apply for the last couple of
years...

Rob