new messages flagged as read??

Alain Spineux aspineux at gmail.com
Tue Oct 2 08:07:23 EDT 2007

On 10/2/07, Roy Sigurd Karlsbakk <roy at karlsbakk.net> wrote:

> Den 1.10.2007 kl. 13:45 skrev Alain Spineux:
>
> On 10/1/07, Roy Sigurd Karlsbakk <roy at karlsbakk.net> wrote:
>
> Den 27.9.2007 kl. 13:08 skrev Alain Spineux:
>
> On 9/27/07, Roy Sigurd Karlsbakk <roy at karlsbakk.net> wrote:
> hi
>
> after moving to a new server, I keep getting new messages flagged as read.
>

> Did you change of cyrus version ?
>
> look for the package version ! Using rpm or dpkg.
>
> cyrus imap upgraded from 2.1 to 2.2
>

> Did you change of Berkley DB version ?
>
> How can I find the these version numbers on the old box?
>
> [root at max ~]# ldd /usr/lib/cyrus-imapd/imapd | grep libdb
>         libdb-4.2.so => /lib/tls/i686/libdb-4.2.so (0x00571000)
>
> the old box used 3.0.2 - the new uses 4.2.

This mean you must upgrade all your berkley db file.
You can use "file" command on all .db files in /var/lib/imap/ to see
if they are berkley db
and also look for cyrus.* files in /var/spool/imap/

> some things to try.
>
> - try a "reconstruct"  of the mailbox (or cyrreconstruct )
>
> I tried - no change - new messages still get marked as read
>
> - create a new account and look if the same appends
>
> Just did - it doesn't look like the problem exists for new mailboxes - just
> the old ones.
>
> You have configured a new account on your mail reader. Try to configure
> an old account of another user on this mail reader.
>
> I do not think it's related to the mail reader as several users (if not all)
> have reported this problem with several different readers. Or do I
> misunderstand you here?

Your argument is good, but sometime doing crazy thing will give
unexpected result and help to understand and later to solve problem.
Also discus about the utility of something
that take less than 5min to test ....

> Can you try to copy (not move) all your emails from one existing account
> into
> this new account, remove any cyrus.*, run reconstruct and see what if
> the new is still working. Then try copying the cyrus.* and run
> reconstruct.
>
> I obviously cannot do this for all accounts on the box.

Does It solve the problem ?

>Do you have any idea
> how to fix this centrally?

You are working on a computer, a wonderful machine able to do a lot of
work for you
very quickly ! Teach it ! Script is your friend.
But first find the solution.

Regards

Alain

--