Delivery and fetching of new email inconsistent

Alain Spineux aspineux at gmail.com
Tue Oct 2 07:56:01 EDT 2007

On 10/2/07, Brian Wong <bwlist at gmail.com> wrote:
> List,
> I am in the process of migrating to Cyrus IMAP. I have a test server
> (CentOS 5 x86_64) with several accounts and I look forward to placing
> the IMAP server in production but I have recently noticed a problem.
>
> Certain emails that are delivered into a mailbox are not visible to
> the email client. I believe this may have to do with consecutive
> emails to the same mailbox with minimal time between the deliveries,
> but I can not consistently reproduce the problem. In this case, two
> separate and different emails are delivered and only the first is
> visible. I do not believe this is a client specific problem. I have
> the general log files indicating delivery and protocol telemetry logs
> for the user in question.
>
> It is not until I log out and log back in do I see the second message.
>
> The relevant log snippets mentioned above are attached.
> Name: server.log (evidence of consecutive delivery)
> Name: user_tel.log (from line 259; evidence of only first message
> visible, but not second)
> Name: user_tel-2.log (evidence that upon log out and log in, second
> message appears)
> Name: imapd.conf (for completeness)
> Name: cyrus.conf (for completeness)
>
> Bear with me as I am not well versed in IMAP protocol specifics.
> The user telemetry logs show that the IDLE daemon notified the client
> of a new message through the EXISTS command. When the IMAP client then
> does a FETCH command, the server only returns the first of the two
> delivered messages. (user_tel.log)

Maybe a the time of the notification the second message in still not
delivered and then
the FETCH can report only one message !

But when doing the check later  :

<1191272540<74 UID fetch 15:* (FLAGS)
>1191272540>* 6 FETCH (FLAGS (\Recent) UID 14)
74 OK Completed (0.000 sec)

I thing here the server should answer with UID 15

I don't know if answer with UID 14 is an error or an imap feature (we
are requesting message >=15, but IMAP protocol is very permissive and
can include some untagged "status" message)
But a that time the message is in the mailbox and the server should know it !

Maybe a bug !

My 2.2.X is also reporting a "UID 14" like message when requesting the
next one like your 2.3.9.

When sending messages in a short time, my 2.2.X in IDLE mode notify
the client long time after receiving both mail, and then report them
both in once.

Hope someone will find more !

Intead of logoff/login did you try to switch from one folder to
another then back to the INBOX, to force the client to refresh all the
emails ?

Regards.

> The server is built with the following options
> ./configure --enable-idled --enable-murder --enable-replication
> --enable-listext --with-ldap --with-openssl --with-sasl --with-snmp
> --without-bdb --with-cyrus-user=cyrus --with-cyrus-group=cyrus
>
> I am also using the "Parse Received: headers for internaldate" patch
> from http://cyrus.brong.fastmail.fm/. I believe this is needed to
> retain INTERNALDATE when migrating.
>
> Could the patch from fastmail be the culprit?
> What other steps can I take to help troubleshoot this problem?
>
> ----

Alain Spineux
aspineux gmail com
May the sources be with you