Delivery and fetching of new email inconsistent

Brian Wong bwlist at gmail.com
Mon Oct 1 20:37:16 EDT 2007

On 10/1/07, Scott M. Likens <damm at yazzy.org> wrote:

>  Brian,
>
>  Here's a stupid question... might be from my ignorance, or just oversight.
>
>  But if the email is delivered to an INBOX, unless the client supports
> notification... it won't be notified of the new email until it does a
> Send/Receive and then it will be aware of it.

That is what the IDLE command issues by the client is for. The
telemetry log attached to my original post demonstrated its use.

>  I mention this because many Clients such as Outhouse (Outlook) don't
> support that kind of notification, so you end up having people setting their
> send/receieve time to 60seconds.

That same telemetry log showed many FETCH commands. That was me using
the "Check Mail" function in my email client. These commands did not
reveal the second message.

>  Now I notice in your logs it says * 1 Recent... at least in one of them, so
> it seems that Cyrus is notifying the IMAP Connection.  Now it comes down to
> if the client ignores it or not.  (as you use idled you should be good in
> this area).
>
>  So then it comes down to which Clients are you using, and if they support
> the notification of new email to 'refresh' the INBOX.  I know Outlook
> Express, and Outlook don't support that... and they are rather unbearable
> for an IMAP connection for most users I run into.
>
>  However Thunderbird works just dandy.... Long drawn out mail for more
> information I guess...

The client I was using was Thunderbird, but I did not want to mention
it because I do not think it is relevant.