TMPFS for socket and log directories?

Ian G Batten ian.batten at uk.fujitsu.com
Fri Nov 30 08:45:18 EST 2007

On 30 Nov 07, at 0234, Vincent Fox wrote:

> We had sym-linked imap/proc directory to a size-limited
> TMPFS a while back.
>
> Now I'm thinking to do the same for imap/socket and imap/log
>
> Any reasons against?  Other candidates?

What's the point?  The socket directory only contains a handful of
inodes which will sit in the inode cache (if they don't, you've got
far deeper problems) and the log directory isn't used other than for
weird corner cases.  I can imagine if you do a lot of logging there
might be some point, but otherwise, why bother?

ian