Problems upgrading from cyrus 2.1.18 to 2.2.13 on debian etch

Steinar Bang sb at dod.no
Tue Nov 27 15:47:29 EST 2007

>>> Does this mean they don't require rebuilding when moving from cyrus 2.1
>>> to 2.2?

>>> If that is true, and if the text version of the mailboxes file is what I
>>> need, then I should be able to survive this...:-)

>> (but I don't dare start cyrus22 until I hear some sort of confirmation
>> on this...:-) )

> cvt_cyrusdb croaks on the ASCII file as well. (sigh!)

> /$ /usr/sbin/cvt_cyrusdb /var/lib/cyrus/mboxlist.txt flat /var/lib/cyrus/mailboxes.db skiplist
> Converting from /var/lib/cyrus/mboxlist.txt (flat) to /var/lib/cyrus/mailboxes.db (skiplist)
> fatal error: can't open old database

When I ran as root instead of cyrus (as the README.Debian.databse says),
I was able to run the above command successfully (cvt_cyrusdb was still
unable to convert the old Berkeley DB files when running as root).

And the .seen files are already skiplists.

However, when attempting to start cyrus22 I get the following error
message:
# /etc/init.d/cyrus2.2 start
/etc/init.d/cyrus2.2: Database backends mismatch! You must manually
/etc/init.d/cyrus2.2: verify and update the Cyrus databases to the
/etc/init.d/cyrus2.2: new backends.
/etc/init.d/cyrus2.2: Please refer to /usr/share/doc/cyrus-common-2.2/README.Debian
/etc/init.d/cyrus2.2: for instructions.

/etc/init.d/cyrus2.2: Cyrmaster not started.

Do I need to upgrade the .seen files as well?  Will cvt_cyrusdb work
here, I wonder...?