One more attempt: stuck processes

Gabor Gombas gombasg at sztaki.hu
Fri Nov 16 12:07:51 EST 2007

On Fri, Nov 16, 2007 at 05:20:00PM +0100, Sebastian Hagedorn wrote:

> That's a 2.6 kernel, right?

Yes, 2.6.18-2-amd64.

> Hm, we don't suffer any actual slowdown, it's just that the number of
> processes increases over time.

It's not a slowdown - the client connects, and hangs. It never even gets
to the authentication phase (at least it's not logged). Clients that
happen to connect to a non-affected process run normally. Also, IMAP
connections do not seem to be affected, at least I did not hear any
complaints about that.

> That's what I'm seeing. Could you get a stack trace?

I intend to but I do not have the time currently. I'm not involved in
the daily management of that machine and the operators are happy to just
restart Cyrus when the hangs begin, and so far I never was around just
when that happened.

Gabor