OT: Re: How many people to admin a Cyrus system?

Zachariah Mully zmully at smartbrief.com
Tue Nov 13 11:25:20 EST 2007

On Tue, 2007-11-13 at 09:10 -0500, Joseph Brennan wrote:
> Ian G Batten <ian.batten at uk.fujitsu.com> wrote:
> > However, people don't want calendaring, they want Outlook.
>

> This describes exactly the point of view of administrative staff.  They
> live in Microsoft Office, and they need a server to support it.  That is
> the assignment given.
>
> I was looking at Open-Xchange on the web <http://www.open-xchange.com/>.
> The server provides webmail and MAPI interfaces.  The "Hosting Edition"
> (and maybe the others, it is not clear) can talk to Cyrus and includes
> ACL support.
>
> (We're still running both Exchange for admin staff and Cyrus for the
> much larger university community of faculty and students.)
>
> Joseph Brennan
> Lead Email Systems Engineer
> Columbia University Information Technology

Perhaps things have improved since my last foray into this area, but
I've yet to find an "outlook connector" that was stable and didn't
corrupt the hell out of the users PST. And at least with the Kolab
groupware product when I reviewed it, they made several architecture
decisions that completely killed performance and then they went on to
trivialize my concerns. Storing calendar objects as binary attachments
in an IMAP store, effectively making them unsearchable, meant that every
calendar access had to pull the entire store down, process it and
display it. Not cool.

Zachariah Mully
Director, Systems and Networks
SmartBrief, Inc.