problems with virtual domains and sasl under Debian 4

Falko Zurell falko.zurell at idmedia.com
Tue Nov 13 05:06:55 EST 2007

Hello List_members,

I'm using a Debian Linux 4 and the provided Cyrus (2.2.13) and SASL
packages from Debian. I've configured my Postfix MTA to use virtual
domains with the SASL library as authentication base. Postfix works
fine for me but Cyrus makes some trouble.

I can't authenticate on the Cyrus IMAPD with my virtual domain name.
When I try to login with "username at domain" on cyrus imapd
authentication fails. When I add a user to the saslpasswd file with
the default domain (eq. localhost) I can authenticate on IMAPD.

my imapd.conf ist this:

configdirectory: /opt/data/cyrus/lib/
defaultpartition: default
partition-default: /opt/data/cyrus/mail
partition-news: /opt/data/cyrus/news
newsspool: /var/spool/news
altnamespace: no
unixhierarchysep: yes
reject8bit: yes
lmtp_downcase_rcpt: yes
admins: cyrus
allowanonymouslogin: no
popminpoll: 1
autocreatequota: 0
umask: 077
sieveusehomedir: false
sievedir: /opt/data/cyrus/sieve
hashimapspool: true
allowplaintext: no
sasl_mech_list: PLAIN
loginrealms: domain.com
virtdomains: on
defaultdomain: domain.com
sasl_pwcheck_method: saslauthd
sasl_auxprop_plugin: sasldb
sasl_auto_transition: yes
tls_cert_file: /etc/ssl/certs/post.domain.com.cert.pem
tls_key_file: /etc/ssl/private/post.domain.com.key.pwless.pem
tls_ca_path: /etc/ssl/certs
tls_session_timeout: 1440
tls_cipher_list: TLSv1+HIGH:!aNULL:@STRENGTH
lmtpsocket: /var/run/cyrus/socket/lmtp
idlemethod: poll
idlesocket: /var/run/cyrus/socket/idle
notifysocket: /var/run/cyrus/socket/notify
syslog_prefix: cyrus

Can someone give me a hint where to look? I now this must work because
I've got it running on a SuSE Linux box with almost the same
configuration. I can't find the mistake by myself at the moment.

Thanks and kind regards

Falko Zurell

/i-d media AG

Ohlauer Straße 43
D-10999 Berlin

www.idmedia.com

Board: Regine Haschka-Helmer (CEO), Franz Klose (CFO)
Chairman of the Supervisory Board: Christian A. Hufnagl
Headquarters: Berlin, Place of Jurisdiction: Berlin HRB 76342

This message may contain confidential information and must not be
copied, disclosed or used by anybody other than the intended
recipient. If you have received this message in error, please notify
us immediately by reply e-mail and delete all records of the message
from your computer. The views represented in this message are solely
those of the author. Neither the author nor I-D Media AG accepts any
liability for the contents of this message.