Replication: problems with synctest

Rich Wales richw at richw.org
Tue Nov 13 02:08:28 EST 2007

OK, so I decided to try what I described earlier (replication in both
directions, with different users using different master servers) . . . .

But now I'm running into an authentication problem.  One of my servers
(my original replica) simply refuses to authenticate to the other one
(my original master).

I've double-checked the user name and password, and I know it's in the
sasldb2.db file on the master, but authentication just will not work.

I tried synctest to each server, and I can't connect to either server
using synctest.  Examples ("whodunit" is my original master; "flipflop"
is my original replica; and I've obscured the real authentication
strings in the AUTHENTICATE commands):

% synctest -u admin -m plain whodunit
S: * SASL NTLM LOGIN PLAIN GSSAPI OTP DIGEST-MD5 CRAM-MD5
S: * STARTTLS
S: * OK whodunit.richw.org Cyrus sync server v2.3.9
Please enter your password:
C: AUTHENTICATE PLAIN ***************************
S: NO user not found
Authentication failed. generic failure
Security strength factor: 0
C: EXIT
Connection closed.

% synctest -u admin -m plain flipflop
S: * SASL CRAM-MD5 DIGEST-MD5 GSSAPI LOGIN PLAIN NTLM
S: * STARTTLS
S: * OK flipflop Cyrus sync server v2.3.9
Please enter your password:
C: AUTHENTICATE PLAIN ***************************
S: NO authentication failure
Authentication failed. generic failure
Security strength factor: 0
C: EXIT
Connection closed.

What's especially weird is the first one (whodunit), which gave a
"user not found" error, even though there IS an account named "admin"
in the sasldb2.db on that machine.

Any ideas what I might be doing wrong here?

--
Rich Wales      ===      Palo Alto, CA, USA      ===     richw at richw.org
http://www.richw.org   ===   http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:Richwales