Replication: does it work in both directions?

Bron Gondwana brong at fastmail.fm
Mon Nov 12 17:05:49 EST 2007

On Mon, 12 Nov 2007 09:37:12 -0800, "Rich Wales" <richw at richw.org> said:
> Bron Gondwana wrote:
>
> > It doesn't work like that.  Rolling replication gets events from
> > actions on mailboxes (lmtp deliver, imapd updates, etc) and logs
> > them - then the sync_client process running in the background
> > reads that log file and uses the actions to know what things to
> > check and sync with the sync_server on your replica.
>
> OK, that's the answer I needed to hear.  If a mailbox list on the
> command line is not compatible with rolling replication, then I'll
> simply not have a choice but to set up two Cyrus instances if I
> want to spread my users across different IMAP servers.

It works fine as a one-off, but not for rolling, because rolling reads
the log.

That said, only users who have had any actions on that server will
create log entries.

I am quite tempted to test your theoretical layout at some point, but
right now I'm heartily sick of playing with Cyrus and am going to take
a break and do something totally different.

Bron.
--
  Bron Gondwana
  brong at fastmail.fm