Replication: sync_client -r dies

Bron Gondwana brong at fastmail.fm
Sun Nov 11 08:26:02 EST 2007

On Sat, Nov 10, 2007 at 07:09:53PM -0800, Rich Wales wrote:
> After about a week of having synchronization running perfectly in my
> 2.3.9 system, I finally got another bailout incident with sync_client
> on my master server.
>
> This happened just after I shut down my replica server (to move it to
> a different location).  About two minutes after the replica went down,
> sync_client on the master said "Error in do_sync(): bailing out!" with
> no other messages of any kind.
>
> It seems to me that the replication code ought to be a bit more robust
> than this when a replica goes down or loses network connectivity.  Is
> the 2.3.10 code any better than 2.3.9 in the way this kind of situation
> is handled?

I believe David Carter has been working on some stuff for this which is
lined up to go in soon.

We just have a monitor_sync script that runs every 10 minutes from cron
and can recover from this and a variety of other interesting situations.

Yeah - it would be nice to have a way to tell the master "going down
now, be back later".

Bron.