Misdelivered messages

Dana Canfield canfield at uindy.edu
Wed May 23 09:37:59 EDT 2007

In the past week or so, we've had trouble with spam being delivered to
the wrong recipients.  It's difficult to explain, so I'll use an example:

hackxx at uindy.edu and xxmelser at uindy.edu are local users receiving
hundreds of spam per hour.  None of it is addressed to them.  Their
email addresses don't appear anywhere in the message source.  The
messages in hackxx's account appear to be the same messages that
xxmelser is receiving.  Most of the misdirected messages seem to be
addressed to other local users, such as xxmilton at uindy.edu or
foxworthxx at uindy.edu.

To further confuse the issue, this only happens with spam.  A legitimate
message mailed to xxmilton at uindy.edu goes through to xxmilton's account
and doesn't appear in the other users' mailboxes.  The *only* clue I
have found is that most of these spams that get misdirected have a gap
between the To: and the address in the message header, like this:
To:           <foxworthxx at uindy.edu>

Does anyone have any clue what might be going on here?

Thanks
DC