creating group.<some-name>, what does it really mean

Jack Stone jack at hawkeye.stone.uk.eu.org
Tue May 15 15:23:08 EDT 2007

Toschi Pietro wrote:

> > localhost.localdomain> cm group/office1 at domain1.com
> > that resulted OK, and mailbox is listed with lm.
> >
> > localhost.localdomain> lam group/office1 at domain1.com returns:
> > anyone lrs (isn't it strange? I didn't issue any sam command on that
> > mailbox)
> >
> > Now I'm wandering what I really did?

You've created a bulletin board. This is basically a mailbox that isn't
associated with an email address. The lrs permissions are default for
any mailbox outside the user hierarchy

> > - I can't post any message to office1 at domain1.com: it results in an
> > error from my MTA (postfix) saying: "<office at domain1.com>: host
> > XX.XX.XX.XX[YY.YY.YY.YY] said: 550-Mailbox unknown. Either there is no
> > mailbox associated with this 550-name or you do not have authorization
> > to see it. 550 5.1.1 User unknown (in reply to RCPT TO command)"

It's not counted as a default user so it won't be recognized by cyrus as
that email address. IIRC you need to sent to +office at domain1.com, for
more about this look at bulletin boards
http://cyrusimap.web.cmu.edu/archive/message.php?mailbox=archive.info-cyrus&msg=42994

> > - I can't access mailbox for reading emails. I mean: having LDAP
> > authentication and a corresponding LDAP entry for office1 at domain1.com
> > I can correctly authenticate but upon selecting INBOX cyrus complains:
> > CLIENT: "3 select \"INBOX\"\r\n"
> > REAL:   "3 NO Mailbox does not exist\r\n"
> > (client-server transaction logs come from perdition)

This is because you client is looking under user/office1 not
group/office1 the only way to access it is to use it like a shared
mailbox (because thats what it is)

> > - any user in domain "domain1.com" is able to subscribe to "office1"
> > folder visible under "group", according with lrs ACL
> >
> > - I changed to "write" the ACL of office1 for "anynone" and I verified
> > that any user in @domain1.com is able to copy messages to that shared
> > folder.
> >

> > Now, I am a little confused about what a "group" is compared to a
> > traditional "user"?
> > Can someone give some explanation please?

It doesn't have to be group it could be sdjfh for all cyrus would care.
The only special hierarchy is the user hierarchy the others can be
created however you want.

I hope thats been of some help.

Regards,

Jack Stone