Replication and failover

Bron Gondwana brong at fastmail.fm
Fri May 11 06:46:51 EDT 2007

On Thu, May 10, 2007 at 12:14:44PM -0400, Nik Conwell wrote:
> Do you have separate IP addresses for each instance of cyrus on the
> machine as well, or just the machine itself?  If just the machine,
> what 'names' does the front-end know the back-end instances by?

Every store has an IP address for master (a.b.10.$storenumber) and
one for the replica (a.b.11.$storenumber) which maps to hosts files
entries (yay templating), so you can just refer to store6m.internal
to connect to the master IP address for store6.  Slots themselves
don't have any IP addresses.  Machines have their own base IP address,
and you can find them by, for example.

my $store = ME::ImapStore->new($storename);
# note, does DB lookup (cached for 5 seconds)
my $slot = $store->MasterSlot();
my $server = $slot->Machine();
my $ip = $server->InternalAddress();

and if you don't have perl you can always invoke it or write a small
Template::Toolkit script to spit out what you want.

Bron.