How to stop IMAP referrals?

Gary Mills mills at cc.umanitoba.ca
Thu May 10 21:44:17 EDT 2007

Is there a way to prevent an imapd front-end from advertizing or
performing referrals to a back-end server, and just do proxying
instead?  There are a couple of reasons that I'd prefer this.  The
main one is that the back-end server doesn't offer the full range of
authentication mechanisms.  Another is that Pine users complain that
they keep getting prompted for a password whenever they send mail, if
they have their `sent mail' folder on the IMAP server.  I'd be happier
if the front-end would just proxy the connections to the back-end.