Username different from mailbox

Jorey Bump list at joreybump.com
Tue Mar 6 11:02:49 EST 2007

Patrick Kranz wrote:

> Now I have a customer, who needs the scenario that the usernames for
> Cyrus differ from the mailbox and mailaddress respectivly. For example
> user1 at testdomain.com should be able to login with the username
> someOtherUsername. This need arises from an integration with other
> software-packages. Is there any possibility to make this work?

Yes, this is no different from any other alias or virtual setup that
offers multiple addresses to individual users. You would handle this in
the MTA. For example, I use virtual_alias_maps with Postfix, and map all
addresses to the corresponding cyrus IMAP user:

  abuse at example.com		admin
  admin at example.com		admin
  postmaster at example.com		admin
  bob at example.com		bob
  robert.smith at example.com	bob

You can also use the aliases file and other approaches.