Recommend how to move 31GB of mail to a new server

Ulrich Spoerlein uspoerlein at gmail.com
Sun Jun 24 04:50:28 EDT 2007

On Sat, 23.06.2007 at 22:34:33 -0300, Patrick Boutilier wrote:
> Daniel O'Connor wrote:
> > On Sunday 24 June 2007 07:37, Gary Mills wrote:
> >> For only 30 gigabytes, you might be better off just copying the files
> >> over, with IMAP down.  It could only take a few hours.  You can copy
> >> a sample from the live system to get an idea of the timing.
> >
> > You could rsync the mail spool while it is live, take it down and then
> > rsync again.
> >
> > That should save considerable time as I would imagine the vast majority
> > of email would be unchanged between the first & second copy.
>
> But unfortunately rsync will still have to scan each file to determine
> what has changed, and that can chew up a lot of time.

Better than to speculate is to measure.
Time the rsync of the mailboxes to your new server. *Don't* shutdown
cyrus, but rsync right again. Measure the second run, too. This will
roughly be your expected downtime. I would be surprised if it is more
than 5-10 minutes.

You could also do: rsync (long time), rsync (short time), shutdown
cyrus, rsync (even shorter time).

hth
Ulrich Spoerlein
--
"The trouble with the dictionary is you have to know how the word is
spelled before you can look it up to see how it is spelled."