backend_connect() is broken in 2.3.8

Chaskiel M Grundman cg2v at andrew.cmu.edu
Fri Jul 27 12:18:14 EDT 2007

--On Friday, July 27, 2007 05:50:17 PM +0200 Gabor Gombas
<gombasg at sztaki.hu> wrote:

> It seems that in 2.3.7 backend_connect() contained code to explicitely
> set the source IP address but this code was removed in 2.3.8. Why?
I asked the developers why the code was there, because on systems where
"servername" points at an alias instead of a single name, the bind tends to
fail and spams the syslog. These extra error messages confused debugging
efforts on more than one occasion. It appears that nobody knew, and so the
code was pulled out. if the bind is restored, I would prefer that it use a
dedicated config parameter, and not re-use servername

> head scratching I found that while sync_client from 2.3.8 uses the wrong
> source IP address (the master host has several) when trying to connect
> to the replica.
I would only expect this to happen if you have asymmetric routing. (i.e. B
refuses to route along the inverse of the path that A routes to B)