Cyrus/Sieve- Global Filter?

George Cooke geocoo at gmail.com
Sat Jul 14 12:16:53 EDT 2007

On 13/07/07, Sebastian Hagedorn <Hagedorn at uni-koeln.de > wrote:

> -- George Cooke <geocoo at gmail.com> is rumored to have mumbled on 13. Juli
> 2007 22:30:25 +0100 regarding Cyrus/Sieve- Global Filter?:
>
> > Cyrus IMAPD 2.2.12 on FreeBSD configured with sieve support,
> SquirrelMail
> > with Avelsieve.
> >
> > I need to create a global cyrus filter of any kind, so that all
> delivered
> > mail messages marked as spam get filed into the spam folder for each
> > user.
>
> Not possible. Cryus 2.3.x supports global scripts, but even then you need
> to include them in each user's individual script.

Thanks for the clarification, you are right; the patch
(http://www.irbs.net/internet/info-cyrus/0612/0181.html)
seems to be for Cyrus 2.3.7, plus I would need a batch script create/update,
and if you have front end's which manage sieve scripts, you would have to
modify them to NOT overwrite your global includes, which is possible but
judging from previous posts, not technically correct.

--
> Sebastian Hagedorn - RZKR-R1 (Flachbau), Zi. 18, Robert-Koch-Str. 10
> Zentrum für angewandte Informatik - Universitätsweiter Service RRZK
> Universität zu Köln / Cologne University - Tel. +49-221-478-5587

I just wonder as a shot in the dark how do most mail admins define global
rules for filtering messages for every/user/certain groups of users, or is
it up to the user to manage all filtering? Something like googlemail does
spam for you, theres an example.

Anyway I have resolved the global spam to spam folder problem is from this
clever person's message: http://www.irbs.net/internet/info-cyrus/0612/0188.html

'I just configure amavis (actually amavisd-new) to add the spam extension
($addr_extension_spam = 'spam'), and then give anonymous the p
permission to the users' spam subfolders (the worst that can happen is
if someone discovers the trick he can send mail directly to the spam
folder).'

I would really like to see global script or set of users/groups sieve script
feature in CMU Sieve in future releases, as I think it could help mail site
organisation, Dovecot and Horde are implementing it, and I really thought
that such a feature would be so commonly required that it would almost
definitely be implemented in CMU Sieve, how wrong I was.