Cyrus & ZFS performance

Vincent Fox vbfox at ucdavis.edu
Wed Jul 4 12:59:04 EDT 2007

Dale Ghent wrote:
> each with a zpool comprising of a mirror between two se3511s on our
> SAN...
Sun recommends against the 3511 in most literature I read, saying that
the SATA drives
are slower and not going to handle as much IOPS loading.  But they are
working out okay
for you?  Perhaps it's just vendor upsell to the more expensive 3510FC....

We are actually doing SAN MultiPath, so hardware paranoia first, and
then ZFS on top
of that for even more.  I was replacing a controller in one of the
3510FC the other
day and b0rked the job by having a GBIC in the wrong slot. So for about
5 minutes
the Cyrus system couldn't see one of the 3510 array.  Since it was just
one side of
the ZFS mirroring there was no user impact.  Then I corrected it and ran a
zpool scrub just to be paranoid.  A scrub operation can take up to 8
hours now.