Cyrus & ZFS performance

Vincent Fox vbfox at ucdavis.edu
Tue Jul 3 19:05:53 EDT 2007

I just thought to report back to the list, that ZFS is working out well.

I asked a while ago about other's opinions, and got all thumbs up.

We deployed a setup with Sun T2000 running Solaris 10u3 (11/06)
and a pair of Sun 3510FC arrays mirroring in a hybrid HA RAID
5+1+0 setup that I can describe further if anyone cares.

We currently have 27,323 accounts on it, and it is performing
very well, with atime=off and compression=on.  We have only
recently migrated a lot of this existing userbase over using
an imapsync method,  so we are not as yet seeing so much of
space/performance benefits of single instance store.

The snapshot feature lets us keep 14 days worth in the pool and
beyond that we'd go to backups.  Actually doing NetBackup of
a Cyrus partition is incredibly slow however, so we are looking
at replication to another server for disaster recovery. Then
perhaps we can dispense with tapes entirely.