Migrating Cyrus 2 Cyrus new hardware

Simon Matter simon.matter at invoca.ch
Thu Jan 25 11:22:52 EST 2007

> Hya there!
>
> We are trying to make big upgrade for our Cyrus  server.
> Now we are running 2.1.9 on single server with 4 partitions
> and about 200.000 users!
> Each partition about 70G and 1.700.000 mail files.

Seems you have quite a number of users but with small quota, I have only
experience with the opposite, x000 users but multiple gigabytes of quota
on single server configurations.

> We thought to use 2.2.12 which is installed and checked
> already on new boxes.  Or should we go with 2.3 as we don't
> use any shared folder/murder features? 99.9% users are using
> webmail to connect to Cyrus without any advanced features.

I strongly recommend 2.3. I know that there are some issues with murder on
2.3, but apart from that 2.3 has very nice features like delayed_expunge.
Those new features have greatly reduced our server load and speed is much
better for our usage style. At least for me, stability was very fine with
2.3.7.

> New setup is 2 boxes each with 2 partitions each ~2T.
> Idea was that partitions 1-2 go to server1, and 3-4 to
> server2.  Now we created rsync server exporting all old
> partitons and tried rsync whole big bunch of files to new
> servers, that takes a WHILE :D.  Any faster way? rsync wiuld
> be good, because then everything is tried 4 times it would
> not be so much to rsync.

Using rsync is even worse if you are using single instance store and
therefore want to preserve hardlinks. However, I think rsync is still the
best tool for the job.

> I though I will copy mailfiles and then reconstruct
> mailboxes.db on each server, but
> reconstruct -m
> reconstructing mailboxes.db currently not supported
>  :((
>
> All auth is done in sql, so no problems migrating that.
>
> Should we dump mailboxes.db file, parse with some script to
> split it in 2, and then reconstruct on each server?

That's what I recommend. Dump it to text, split it and import. That way
you get clean new mailboxes db files.

> And what would be best way for quotas? All quotas will be
> lifted up afterwards, so I can recreate them and recound
> with quota tool?

I recommend to create them, AFTER the whole thing is synced and you did a
full reconstruct.

Simon