Migrating Cyrus 2 Cyrus new hardware

Kristaps Armanis krisha.lists at grafton.lv
Thu Jan 25 10:14:11 EST 2007

Hya there!

We are trying to make big upgrade for our Cyrus  server.
Now we are running 2.1.9 on single server with 4 partitions
and about 200.000 users!
Each partition about 70G and 1.700.000 mail files.

We thought to use 2.2.12 which is installed and checked
already on new boxes.  Or should we go with 2.3 as we don't
use any shared folder/murder features? 99.9% users are using
webmail to connect to Cyrus without any advanced features.

New setup is 2 boxes each with 2 partitions each ~2T.
Idea was that partitions 1-2 go to server1, and 3-4 to
server2.  Now we created rsync server exporting all old
partitons and tried rsync whole big bunch of files to new
servers, that takes a WHILE :D.  Any faster way? rsync wiuld
be good, because then everything is tried 4 times it would
not be so much to rsync.

I though I will copy mailfiles and then reconstruct
mailboxes.db on each server, but
reconstruct -m
reconstructing mailboxes.db currently not supported
 :((

All auth is done in sql, so no problems migrating that.

Should we dump mailboxes.db file, parse with some script to
split it in 2, and then reconstruct on each server?

And what would be best way for quotas? All quotas will be
lifted up afterwards, so I can recreate them and recound
with quota tool?

Any advices will be greatly apreciated.
Thx.

--