The annoyance of repeating Makefiles

Gary Mills mills at cc.umanitoba.ca
Thu Jan 18 20:28:40 EST 2007

I've noticed for some time that whenever I type `make' in the Cyrus
source tree, it always recompiles something.  A repeated make should
evenually stop compiling but this one never does.  The worst offenders
are the various perl Makefiles which rebuild Makefile from Makefile.PL
every time, instead of only doing it when it's out of date.  This
causes the perl modules to be recompiled.  As well, imap/Makefile
recreates xversion.h each time, resulting in more recompiles.

This behavior is annoying because I build the Cyrus software on a
development server but then install it on other servers where there
is no compiler and the source tree is mounted read-only.  This breaks
`make install', which should only install things, not recompile them.
Can this be fixed, or am I condemned to hack Makefiles myself?