IMAP sync tool (rsync for IMAP)

Rich Graves rgraves at carleton.edu
Thu Jan 18 10:51:33 EST 2007

I'd started taking this offline because it's not entirely on-topic for
info-cyrus, but I realize that it has broad impact...

On Jan 3 2007, at 8:37 PM, Jo Rhett wrote:
> On Jan 3, 2007, at 9:20 AM, James Miller wrote:
>> I have 2 users left on an OLD Cyrus installation I want to get off
>> and was
>> hoping to use imapsync.  It seemed to work just fine except dates
>> of the
>> messages from the old server to the new were not retained.  All of the
>> messages have the date they were imported instead.
>
> You need the syncinternaldates.  Did you do a sync already without
> that option?  You need to toast the destination and resync it to get
> the dates fixed...

--syncinternaldates stopped working at imapsync 1.200 (current is
1.204), as a side effect of the append_string->append_file change
suggested by John Capo and Florin Andrei earlier in this thread, on Dec
26, 2006. That change was made to avoid memory exhaustion, see
http://www.mail-archive.com/info-cyrus@lists.andrew.cmu.edu/msg31296.html

The underlying problem is that at least as of Mail::IMAPClient 2.2.9,
the append_file function doesn't handle INTERNALDATE at all.

A bunch of people here have talked about minor patches to
Mail::IMAPClient. Has anyone added the $d argument to append_file and
verified functionality?

Most clients display Date: header, but some may show or use
INTERNALDATE. For example, the Zimbra web interface is incapable of
showing or sorting by Date:.

See also http://www.zimbra.com/forums/showthread.php?p=33880#post33880
--
Rich Graves <rgraves at carleton.edu>