sieve autocreate

Paul Dekkers Paul.Dekkers at surfnet.nl
Mon Jan 15 10:58:31 EST 2007

Hi,

Aristotelis wrote:
> Paul Dekkers wrote:
>
>  Hello,
>
> > (I never used it though. I was considering it, but for us I think it
> > would only make sense if you could use variables in the folder-names or
> > so (like the month/year)....)
>
>   Could you please elaborate a bit more on the features that you think
> are missing from autosieve patch? It might be someth
> ing that we haven't looked into, since we didn't need this feature in
> the first place, but it might be something quite usef
> ul.

I don't think it's something I'm missing in the autosieve patch, but a
feature I'm missing in sieve itself. (But maybe I've overlooked it in a
spec.)

The use I had in mind was to autocreate (archive-)folders with dates in
it, like a fileinto "INBOX.archive-${year}"; (I hope that example
explains it ;-)) but then there has to be something in sieve that
decides what folder to create of course, e.g. something that puts a year
(or something else) in a variable. And *then* the autocreate patch could
be very useful for us, since the folder to create does then contain a
variable ;-)

There are not a lot of other cases where folders need to be auto-created
in our setup. (Or it's automated in a different way.)

Regards,
Paul

P.S. I think it's the variable extension in sieve that could provide
this, if not for the fact that "setdate" has been removed from the
specification (which I think would be what I'm looking for) and that the
variable extension is not supported with Cyrus...