Spam filtering / Sieve on bulletinboards

Ben Poliakoff benp at reed.edu
Wed Feb 28 13:06:00 EST 2007

* Janne Peltonen <janne.peltonen at helsinki.fi> [20070228 07:16]:
> On Tue, Feb 27, 2007 at 07:07:22AM -0800, Ben Poliakoff wrote:
> > Since version 2.2.13 bulletins/shared-folders can be made to evaluate
> > sieve scripts.  Configuring these scripts is different in two key ways:
> >
> >   - sieve scripts for shared folders must be uploaded into the global
> >     namespace, one does this by connecting to the sieve server as a user
> >     listed in the 'admins' section in imapd.conf
> >
> >   - once the script has been uploaded into the global namespace a
> >     shared folder can be configured to use the script via the new
> >     'sieve' mailbox annotation (e.g. in cyradm 'mboxcfg <mailbox> sieve
> >     <sieve_script_name>)
> >
> > We use this feature a lot these days.
>
> Thanks. :)
>
> But this means, doesn't it, that a normal user can't install sieve
> scripts for bulletin boards, even if she has full access for the
> bulletin board? Or is the way to go to create a collection of different
> global sieve scripts for bb users to select from? Would there happen to
> be a Web tool for this purpose? Should I RTFM? ;) (Cyrus' documentation
> is sparse at some subjects.)

Yes it's true, end users can't upload scripts to the global namespace.
End users can (given the correct ACL) update the annotation on a shared
folder to select a pre-existing sieve script in the global namespace.

As far as I know there isn't a widely circulated web UI to do this, one
would need to roll one's own using the Cyrus perl modules.

Ben