lmtpd memory leak?

Michael Menge michael.menge at zdv.uni-tuebingen.de
Thu Feb 22 08:26:06 EST 2007

Hi,

on this server is are only a few test users and the postmaster account.
The Postmaster account has a very copmlex sievescript which uses regexp.
As fas as i can tell all hanging lmtpd-processes are delivering mails
to this account. I found the deferred message and could reproduce the
effect with an delivery retry of this eMail. But i did't find the
regex which caused the problem yet.

So how can I help to find this bug. I had i look at bugzilla, but
found nothing
related.

thanks for the help so far

     Michael Menge

Quoting Robert Mueller <robm at fastmail.fm>:

>> all my lmtpd-processes are growing in size and are consuming more and
>> more CPU-time and increasing it's priority.
>>
>> As far as i can see, mail gets deliverd fine, but only from the small
>> lmtpd-processes. The huge processes are not used for delivery, and new
>> lmtp processes get started, but the old processes keep running.
>
> I've seen this before with specific users having a specific regexp in
> their sieve script, and then an email with very big header arriving that
> that regexp runs on. Check your MTA mail queue and see if there are
> deferred emails and if they're all for one user.
>
> Also have a look in /proc/$pid$/fd for a few of the lmtp processes, see
> if they're all trying to deliver to the same user.
>
> Rob

> robm at fastmail.fm
> Sign up at http://fastmail.fm for fast, ad free, IMAP accessible email

M.Menge                                 Tel.: (49) 7071/29-70316
Universitaet Tuebingen                  Fax.: (49) 7071/29-5912
Zentrum fuer Datenverarbeitung          mail:
michael.menge at zdv.uni-tuebingen.de
Waechterstrasse 76
72074 Tuebingen