lmtpd memory leak?

Robert Mueller robm at fastmail.fm
Thu Feb 22 07:22:11 EST 2007

> all my lmtpd-processes are growing in size and are consuming more and
> more CPU-time and increasing it's priority.
>
> As far as i can see, mail gets deliverd fine, but only from the small
> lmtpd-processes. The huge processes are not used for delivery, and new
> lmtp processes get started, but the old processes keep running.

I've seen this before with specific users having a specific regexp in
their sieve script, and then an email with very big header arriving that
that regexp runs on. Check your MTA mail queue and see if there are
deferred emails and if they're all for one user.

Also have a look in /proc/$pid$/fd for a few of the lmtp processes, see
if they're all trying to deliver to the same user.

Rob

robm at fastmail.fm
Sign up at http://fastmail.fm for fast, ad free, IMAP accessible email