Trying to implement Bulletin Boards

Russell Jackson raj at csub.edu
Wed Feb 21 15:09:39 EST 2007

Andre Plante wrote:
> Hi All,
> I am looking at getting the bulletin boards feature of cyrus working.
> So far, I have been able to create the boards in the admin console, and
> they are
> as such:
> =

> listaclmailbox bb*
> bb.aptest:
>   plante lrswipcda
>   anyone lrs
> bb.aptest.events:
>   plante lrswipcda
>   anyone lrs
> =

> I have purposefully given myself full permissions, and left the anyone
> as the
> default.
> =

> In my imapd.conf (as well as imapd-local.conf), I have the follwoing:
> postuser: bb
> sharedprefix: bb
> =

> I am not sure if both lines are required, but both seemed relevant.
> =

> I am now trying to modify the sendmail.mc, and run the m4 command to
> allow the
> delivery to the mailbox.
> I have searched the web but have not found anything conclusive as to
> what I need
> to add to this file.  So far, I have tried adding:
> MAILER(cyrus)
> define(`confLOCAL_MAILER',`cyrus')
> dnl LOCAL_RULE_0
> dnl Rbb + $+ < @ $=3Dw . >         $#cyrusbb $: $1
> =

> but that did not help.
> =

> Whenever I try to send to bb+aptest, +aptest, aptest, or +aptest.events
> I get
> messages back saying that the mailbox does not exist.
> =

> Can anyone provide a little guidance??

sharedprefix refers to shared user mailboxes. Bulletin boards are
usually not user mailboxes and as such are created at the root of the
IMAP namespace. The post user is mostly symbolic (but perhaps used by
the MTA for authorization?) and can be left undefined so that
addressing would be just with the plus notation.

Recreate your bulletin board folders as root folders:

	> cm aptest
	> cm aptest.events

If you leave post user as bb, then you would address them as:

	bb+aptest at domain
	bb+aptest.events at domain

If you leave postuser undefined, then you would addres them as:

	+aptest at domain
	+aptest.events at domain

The sharedprefix should be left as users.

Hope this helps.

-- =

Russell A. Jackson <raj at csub.edu>
Network Analyst
California State University, Bakersfield