Cyrus+LMTP and LAN

Simon Matter simon.matter at invoca.ch
Sat Feb 17 14:06:26 EST 2007

> I set up my Cyrus system a long time ago to use LMTP, where the MTA and
> Cyrus live on the same machine.
>
> I'm faced with a situation where I would like to have a central MTA on a
> private LAN service email, however it lacks the disk space to accomodate
> the inbound (anticipated) messaging.  Therefore, I would like to place
> Cyrus on a server that has disk space.
>
> I'm reading through RFC 2033, and while I get lost in the details, my
> query is about whether I can do LMTP from an MTA on the same LAN to
> another system where Cyrus-Imapd lives (the RFC recommends NOT to do
> this over a WAN, for understandable reasons).  Or even if this is
> advisable... where I should them build a separate MTA on the Cyrus
> machine and service mail there (that machine is a NAS and also storing a
> lot of syslog data on a large RAID-5 array, I'd rather not put the
> primary MTA on it, too).

I recently switched a quite complex setup from local MTA->LMTP over Unix
socket to a remote MTA->LMTP via LAN/tcp. I didn't have any issues. I'm
running preauthed lmtp on Cyrus using 'lmtpd -a' in cyrus.conf and have
restricted access via /etc/hosts.deny like this
lmtp: ALL EXCEPT mta.domain.tld

Simon