Cyrus+LMTP and LAN

Forrest Aldrich forrie at forrie.com
Sat Feb 17 12:29:57 EST 2007

I set up my Cyrus system a long time ago to use LMTP, where the MTA and
Cyrus live on the same machine.

I'm faced with a situation where I would like to have a central MTA on a
private LAN service email, however it lacks the disk space to accomodate
the inbound (anticipated) messaging.  Therefore, I would like to place
Cyrus on a server that has disk space.

I'm reading through RFC 2033, and while I get lost in the details, my
query is about whether I can do LMTP from an MTA on the same LAN to
another system where Cyrus-Imapd lives (the RFC recommends NOT to do
this over a WAN, for understandable reasons).  Or even if this is
advisable... where I should them build a separate MTA on the Cyrus
machine and service mail there (that machine is a NAS and also storing a
lot of syslog data on a large RAID-5 array, I'd rather not put the
primary MTA on it, too).

Pointers would be appreciated... thanks in advance.