Cyrus on Solaris at universities?

Bron Gondwana brong at fastmail.fm
Thu Dec 13 18:40:02 EST 2007

On Thu, Dec 13, 2007 at 11:46:19AM +0200, Janne Peltonen wrote:
> On Thu, Dec 13, 2007 at 08:26:03AM +0100, Rudy Gevaert wrote:
> > Vincent Fox wrote:
> > > Just wondering what other universities are runing Cyrus on Solaris?
> > >
> > > We know of:
> > > CMU
> > > UCSB
> >
> > We have run it, but switched to GNU/Linux about one year and a half ago.
>
> Same here, except the switch was half a year ago (and long due).
>
> This said, the main reason we switched to Linux wasn't that there were
> anything wrong with Solaris - but we only have one staff member these
> days that really knows his way around Solaris, whereas there are many
> people with good to excellent Linux competence.

The other reason I'm really happy with Linux is that I don't think I
could post a casual "we've got this weird issue with a recent release
that didn't exist before" to an unrelated topic on a Solaris list and
have the Linus equivalent respond within half an hour explaining what
has probably caused it, giving a couple of patches to try, and pulling
the other main "owners" of that block of code into the discussion.

And then others on the list guiding me through converting those snippets
of code into a supportable, maintainable patch that adds a /proc toggle
to alter the behaviour of the kernel for what we need.  It will probably
be in .25 if it survives the -mm process.

Bron ( nowhere near as much as the amount of code I've written for
       Cyrus this year though! )