can sieve script flag the whole thread?

Jorey Bump list at joreybump.com
Tue Aug 28 17:05:39 EDT 2007

Zhang Weiwu wrote:

> I read the RFCs and documents I can find on the internet, it seems it's
> not possible for sieve to flag a thread.
>
> I need such an action that not only setflag the current email, but also
> any other emails in the same thread in the  folder. This is useful to
> organize workflow in our business, each workflow is a discussion thread
> and if someone send an email to this thread with subject "Done",  the
>
> Being able to setflag (or move messages) for a whole thread of
> discussion is vital to use sieve to help us organize email, otherwise
> we probably wouldn't put as much information in email and try develop a
> web application on our own. Can this be done? Help really appreciated.

It's an interesting idea, and I've often mused on leveraging IMAP
features to form the core of a trouble ticket system. However, you're
going to want to reevaluate the idea of having user-created email
content trigger events. It's fine for categorization and even some types
of merging, but setting a ticket's status should require an explicit
action to avoid unpredictable or externally influenced results.

You will also get better compatibility among different clients if you
try to preserve the Subject header as much as possible.