Replication to more than one replica?

Bron Gondwana brong at fastmail.fm
Fri Aug 10 22:28:42 EDT 2007

On Fri, Aug 10, 2007 at 01:24:29PM -0400, Wesley Craig wrote:
> With such a small number of users, you might be all set.  Keep in
> mind that -u only gets users, not shared mailboxes not associated
> with any user.  In UMich's system, we just run tape backups on the
> replica, no need for a second replica.  I've done cost comparisons
> between having two replicas or having the first replica write to tape
> (answer: depends).

Yeah - we run a clever little thing that can stat index files, parse
them for a list of UUIDs it hasn't seen yet (relies on a reliable
UUID infrastructure, of course) and just fetch the new messages based
on that.  It's very nice and efficent on IO (even more so than our
previous thing that was based on opendir() and readdir() of the message
files without statting and just getting new names, plus we keep the
index files around for that bit more meta data)

Bron.