'batch move' of a few thousand mailboxes to different partitions

Didi Rieder adrieder at sbox.tugraz.at
Wed Apr 18 14:07:00 EDT 2007

--On Wednesday, April 18, 2007 04:03:47 PM +0200 Eric Luyten
<Eric.Luyten at vub.ac.be> wrote:

> Cyrus 2.2.13 on a Solaris 9 server
> 4 Cyrus spool partitions, 350 GB each, nearing 80% occupation
> (Hashing performed on first letter basis of account name)
>
> I have two extra 350 GB partitions ready and 'partition' lines
> already added to /etc/imapd.conf
>

> To spread out the mail data over six partitions I would need
> to move about 350 GB of mail.
>
> Two scenarios :
>
>   a) use rename_mailbox in cyradm
>
>        pro  : mail server can keep on running
>        cons : filesystem metadata changes
>               no 'batching' method available  (suggestions, anyone ?)
>               slow
>
>   b) use 'cp -p -r', update a text dump of mailboxes.db and regenerate
>
>        pros : filesystem metadata does not change
>               easily batchable
>               significantly faster than method a)
>        con  : mail server must be halted for (at least) several hours
>

> Am I overlooking important issues here ?

Some time ago we wrote a perl script for evenly redistriubting our users to
new spool partitions. I posted the following message, which has the script
attached:

<http://cyrusimap.web.cmu.edu/archive/message.php?mailbox=archive.info-cyrus&searchterm=rieder&msg=39998>

Maybe it helps.

Didi