remove entry from deliver.db

Derek T. Yarnell derek at umiacs.umd.edu
Fri Apr 13 11:40:25 EDT 2007

On Thu, 2007-04-12 at 13:40 -0400, Greg A. Woods wrote:
> At Thu, 12 Apr 2007 11:32:49 -0400, Derek T. Yarnell wrote:
> Subject: remove entry from deliver.db
> >
> > Is there a way to remove an entry from the deliver.db?  Like a
> > spam/virus solution quarantined a message, we delivered it into the
> > cyrus mailbox and user deleted it.  We tried to re-deliver the message
> > and it now gets caught in the duplicate checker.
>
> That sounds like a design flaw in your spam/virus system.
>
> The delivery of a message to Cyrus should only ever have to happen once.
> The "quarantine" area could just be another folder.

Well I am not really here to debate the design of the spam/virus system
because it is coming from another department. But it may be a design
flaw not to allow a management of of the deliver.db so my initial
question stands, is there a way to delete entries out of the deliver.db
before they are just purged in the normal (3day in redhat) cycle?

> If the user accidentally deletes a message then restoring it from
> backups should be no different for a message in the "Junk" folder
> vs. one in any other folder, no?

Depends, you need to know more of the circumstances and in this case it
happened minutes after it was delivered so yeah, backups won't help.

> Alternately the quarantine system could simply send a separate unique
> notification message to the user and then only deliver the quarantined
> message if the user requests it somehow.  I really don't like that idea
> for many reasons though.

The message is untouched by the quarantine, so to munge a new message id
would be the wrong way to approach this IMHO.

Derek T. Yarnell
University of Maryland
Institute for Advanced Computer Studies
derek at umiacs.umd.edu