Can list mailboxes through impad. limtpd cannot

Stephen Forster sforster at kidik.net
Fri Apr 6 15:22:01 EDT 2007

FORMER 03 | Baltasar Cevc wrote:

> Hi Stephen,
>
> On 05.04.2007, at 15:01, Stephen Forster wrote:
>
>> I am running cyrus imap 2.2 ( Debian etch package ) and have been
>> trying
>> to configure it to accept connections through lmtpd tcp/ip.
>>
>> I can connect though imapd using telnet, or imtest or cyradm using the
>> admin user listed in /etc/imapd.conf. In each case, the admin user is
>> authenticated, and can list the mailboxes.
>
> I'd use lmtpd -a in cyrus.conf to test whether it's an authentication
> problem. You surely shouldn't leave that setting (preauth
> connection), but for debugging, it may be useful.

Hi Baltasar,

Thanks for your reply. I feel as though I have tried everything ( but
obviously have missed something )

In any case, I tried "lmtpd -a" and tested the connections again.

Below is the output from lmtptest, cyradm and the imtest to the imapd port.

Still no joy via lmtp.

# From the lmtptest interaction
mail from:<sforster at kidik.net>
250 2.1.0 ok
rcpt to:<sforster at monkey.kidik.net>
550-Mailbox unknown.  Either there is no mailbox associated with this
550-name or you do not have authorization to see it.
550 5.1.1 User unknown

# The output from /var/log/mail.log showing unsuccesful listing of
mailbox via lmtp:
Apr  6 19:47:47 malthus cyrus/lmtp[4281]: accepted connection
Apr  6 19:47:47 malthus cyrus/lmtp[4281]: connection from
malthus.kidik.net [81.187.233.169] preauth'd as postman
Apr  6 19:53:08 malthus cyrus/lmtp[4281]:
verify_user(monkey.kidik.net!user.sforster) failed: Mailbox does not exist

# cyradm output showing the existence of the 'sforster at monkey.kidik.net'
mailbox and the open permissions.
sforster at malthus:/etc$ cyradm --user cyrus localhost
Password:
localhost> lm
user.sforster (\HasNoChildren)
user.sforster at malthus.kidik.net (\HasNoChildren)
user.sforster at monkey.kidik.net (\HasNoChildren)
localhost> lam
usage: listaclmailbox mailbox
localhost> lam user.sforster at monkey.kidik.net
all lrswipcda
anyone lrswipcda
localhost>

# Finally, I list the interaction with imapd using imtest. The
'sforster at monkey.kidik.net' mailbox is listed no problem.
sforster at malthus:/etc$ imtest -acyrus -u cyrus -m login malthus.kidik.net
S: * OK kidik.net Cyrus IMAP4 v2.2.13-Debian-2.2.13-10 server ready
C: C01 CAPABILITY
S: * CAPABILITY IMAP4 IMAP4rev1 ACL QUOTA LITERAL+ MAILBOX-REFERRALS
NAMESPACE UIDPLUS ID NO_ATOMIC_RENAME UNSELECT CHILDREN MULTIAPPEND
BINARY SORT THREAD=ORDEREDSUBJECT THREAD=REFERENCES ANNOTATEMORE IDLE
AUTH=DIGEST-MD5 AUTH=CRAM-MD5 SASL-IR
S: C01 OK Completed
Please enter your password:
C: L01 LOGIN cyrus {6}
S: + go ahead
C: <omitted>
S: L01 OK User logged in
Authenticated.
Security strength factor: 0
C: select user.sforster at monkey.kidik.net
* FLAGS (\Answered \Flagged \Draft \Deleted \Seen)
* OK [PERMANENTFLAGS (\Answered \Flagged \Draft \Deleted \Seen \*)]
* 0 EXISTS
* 0 RECENT
* OK [UIDVALIDITY 1173562958]
* OK [UIDNEXT 1]
C: OK [READ-WRITE] Completed

Any advice or suggestions gratefully received.

Stephen Forster