LMTP AUTH with sendmail?

Andreas Haumer andreas at xss.co.at
Thu Apr 5 07:29:49 EDT 2007

Hi!

I'm about to set up a Cyrus IMAP server machine and want to
have several other machines running sendmail to deliver mail
to the IMAP server using LMTP over TCP (btw: all machines are
running Linux)

This raises the question of authenticating the mail delivery
machines to the IMAP server.

I already have a setup running with "pre-authorization"
(lmtpd option "-a") using the following configuration settings:

In /etc/cyrus.conf on the IMAP server machine:

SERVICES {
[...]
  lmtp          cmd="lmtpd -a" listen="lmtp" prefork=1
[...]
}

In /etc/hosts.allow on the IMAP server machine:
[...]
lmtp: a.b.c.72, a.b.c.80, a.b.c.91
[...]

In /etc/hosts.deny on the IMAP server machine:
[...]
lmtp: ALL
[...]

In /etc/mail/sendmail.mc on the mail delivery machines:
[...]
define(`confLOCAL_MAILER', `cyrusv2')dnl
define(`CYRUSV2_MAILER_ARGS', `TCP my.cyrus.server.tld lmtp')dnl
[...]

In order to improve security I'd rather use "real" authentication
for the LMTP client against the LMTP server, but I have not found
a single piece of documentation or example of how to do this with
sendmail (I have found examples for postfix or exim, though)

I know how to set up SMTP AUTH with sendmail (both as client
and as server), but not LMTP AUTH (as client)

Is real LMTP AUTH with sendmail possible at all?
Has anyone already set up such a beast?

I'd appreciate any hints or configuration examples!

Thanks!

- - andreas

- --
Andreas Haumer                     | mailto:andreas at xss.co.at
*x Software + Systeme              | http://www.xss.co.at/
Karmarschgasse 51/2/20             | Tel: +43-1-6060114-0
A-1100 Vienna, Austria             | Fax: +43-1-6060114-71