Murder / frontend does not connect to backend

arnaud at opensquad.com arnaud at opensquad.com
Wed Apr 4 04:02:13 EDT 2007

Selon Andrew Morgan <morgan at orst.edu>:

> On Tue, 3 Apr 2007, arnaud at opensquad.com wrote:
>
> > Hello,
> >
> > I'm setting up a cyrus murder in a lab and I'm facing a problem.
> > The architecture is quite simple : 1 frontend, 1 backend and a mupdate
> master
> >
> > We are using cyrus 2.2.13-10 on Debian etch.
> >
> > The Mupdate seems OK, I can LIST from everywhere. If I create a mailbox on
> the
> > backend I can see it with mupdatetest on the frontend quickly.
> >
> > But I cannot make a single IMAP SELECT command on the frontend.
> > This problem can be tracked  with cyradm.
> > When I try to create a mailbox. I've this strange message and there is NO
> trafic
> > between frontend and backend.  The same message arises when connecting with
> > IMAP client
> > ----
> > localhost> cm user.user1.tutu
> > createmailbox: Server(s) unavailable to complete operation
> >
> > Log line associated :
> > Mar 23 00:01:31 proxy1 cyrus/proxyd[12155]: connect(default) failed:
> Invalid
> > argument
> > ---
> > But if I try to delete a mailbox I can see trafic between front and back
> > servers.
> >
> > So my (maybe first) question is :
> > Why there is no communication when connecting to IMAP ?
> > What does mean "connect(default) failed: Invalid argument" in the log
> > Everything I found was related to authentication but this does not seem an
> issue
> > in my setup.
> >
> > Thanks in advance
>
> In my experience, you cannot create a mailbox when connected to a frontend
> server.  Your environment with 1 backend makes it seem silly, but in the
> case with multiple backends you would need some way to specify where to
> create the mailbox.  In our case, our script randomly picks a backend,
> connects to it, and creates the mailbox.
>
>          Andy

Thanks for your answer, I use 1 frontend because it's a test lab. Cyradm was
just an example tool.
My main question was "How to troubleshoot IMAP connection to backend". I am
unable to make a SELECT with imtest or any IMAP client.
See below the results with imtest.

[snip]
S: L01 OK User logged in
Authenticated.
Security strength factor: 0
a SELECT INBOX
a NO Server(s) unavailable to complete operation
b SELECT user.user1.INBOX
b NO Server(s) unavailable to complete operation

and the log
Mar 23 09:50:44 proxy1 cyrus/proxyd[12409]: connect(imapback.rescom.mi) failed:
Invalid argument

Why there is no communication when connecting to IMAP ?
What does mean "connect(default) failed: Invalid argument" in the log ?

Thanks

Arnaud Brugnon