LMTP problem

Phil Pennock info-cyrus-spodhuis at spodhuis.org
Wed Sep 27 07:41:57 EDT 2006

On 2006-09-25 at 18:14 +0200, Daniel Stålhammar wrote:
> Trying to send mail local on my machine i get this error.
> [root at klaus exim]# delivering 1GRsrR-0000j4-7C
> LOG: MAIN
>  == xxx R=localuser T=local_delivery defer (-1): LMTP connection closed
> after initial connection

TCP Wrappers?  Does /etc/hosts.allow permit the LMTP connection from the
IP address which the packets will come from?

You could use Unix-domain sockets instead.  The lmtp line in cyrus.conf
then takes a path-name pointing to a socket location in the listen="..."
parameter and you give Exim (assuming Exim 4) the socket option in the
transport.  So I have:

imap_inject_envto:
  driver = lmtp
  socket = IMAP_LMTP_SOCKETPATH
  envelope_to_add
  user = mail
  group = mail
  rcpt_include_affixes
  headers_remove = "lines"
  headers_add = "Lines: $body_linecount"

where IMAP_LMTP_SOCKETPATH is defined at the start of the file, and the
Lines stuff lets mutt see the size of the mail in the index; Exim
already has the information available so there's no delay caused by
adding that.

I can't help with LTMP verification though, since I cheat by breaking
open the abstraction of Cyrus letting Exim see which folders exist in
the local filesystem.
--
"Everything has three factors: politics, money, and the right way to do it.
 In that order."  -- Gary Donahue