sieveshell -a -u doesn't work as it should (bug?)

Andrew Morgan morgan at orst.edu
Mon Sep 11 15:14:01 EDT 2006

On Mon, 11 Sep 2006, Eric Doutreleau wrote:

> Rudy Gevaert a écrit :
>> Andreas Winkelmann wrote:
>>
>>> Ok, please remove the "LOGIN" Mechanism from sasl_mech_list.
>>>
>>> # Authentication configuration
>>> sasl_pwcheck_method: saslauthd
>>> sasl_mech_list: PLAIN LOGIN "LOGIN" is not able to do authorization (-a
>>> cyrus -u user). Only PLAIN and DIGEST-MD5 can do that. Because you use
>>> saslauthd, you are bound to PLAIN.
>>>
>>> I would guess, the first time you type the Password "LOGIN" is used, the
>>> second time "PLAIN".
>>
>> Thanks your advice provided the solution!
>>
>> Rudy
>>

> i have the same problem than u
> but when i remove the LOGIN mechanism windows users can't logged anymore :(
> is there a way to remove the LOGIN mechanism only for sieve connection?

The Cyrus-SASL docs state:

   The LOGIN mechanism (not to be confused with IMAP4's LOGIN command) is
   an undocumented, unsupported mechanism. It's included in the Cyrus SASL
   distribution for the sake of SMTP servers that might want to
   interoperate with old clients. Do not enable this mechanism unless you
   know you're going to need it. When enabled, it verifies passwords the
   same way the PLAIN mechanism does.

My guess is that you may need to reconfigure your email clients to use the
PLAIN method.  In any case, you do not want LOGIN in your sasl_mech_list.

 	Andy