5.1.1 User unknown bounces

Daniel Eckl deckl at nero.com
Fri Sep 8 07:59:33 EDT 2006

We handle it through a mysql db which contains all account infos.

Cyrus and postfix uses the database for IMAP and SMTP authentication,
postfix (with mysql support) uses it to check if an address exists and
to get the local user from the emailadress. This way we can handle
forwarding and aliases, too, where multiple emailadresses point to one
mailbox or multiple mailboxes or external emailadresses.

This is made very similar to this approach:
http://www.delouw.ch/linux/Postfix-Cyrus-Web-cyradm-HOWTO/html/index.html

But I have to admit that I don't know if sendmail has such interfaces to
mysql or ldap and how to use it, if they are existent.

Best,
Daniel