5.1.1 User unknown bounces

Kjetil Torgrim Homme kjetilho at ifi.uio.no
Thu Sep 7 17:28:51 EDT 2006

On Thu, 2006-09-07 at 17:03 -0400, jschueler at motorcityinteractive.com
wrote:
> I would expect to see a function to bounce email with a "5.1.1 User unknown"
> error.  But I haven't seen this function described or even acknowledged
> within Cyrus.
>
> As far as I understand, I need a hook for my MTA (Sendmail) to query.  Does
> one of the /usr/cyrus/bin utilities provide this function?  It seems easy
> enough to roll my own.  How do other Cyrus administrators handle this
> requirement?

we don't use Cyrus as an authoritative source of known addresses, the
information is stored in LDAP.  since we support many addresses per
Cyrus account (e.g. k.t.homme at usit.uio.no is equally valid for my
account), we simply can't leave it to Cyrus.

in Exim, you could use a recipient callout (over LMTP) to test validity
of addresses.  not sure how to best handle it with Sendmail.
--
Kjetil T.