Too slow

Warren Turkal wt at atmos.colostate.edu
Wed Oct 25 23:41:57 EDT 2006

On Wednesday 25 October 2006 20:20, Marten Lehmann wrote:
> did you use an ext3 partition with dir_index before? I'm just asking
> because we are at a similar point and need to make a decision. All
> benchmarks I know of don't show that XFS actually performs faster than a
> modern ext3. Actually, with many concurrent reads and writes, ext3 seem
> to perform better, but only according to benchmarks.
> I cannot tell from an own installation. A switch from ext3 to XFS would
> be a big step for us, because we have to take care for about 13,000
> mailboxes. So I want to be really sure if it is the right step.

XFS may be faster _until_ it craps out. I have had two (not one) instances of
a '.' directory entry being removed from a particular directory and fsck.xfs
not being able to repair it caused the need for reinstallation. Doing
anything in the directory caused the FS to be unmounted due to detecting an
inconsistency in the FS.  This happened to my /var partition on both
occasions. Granted, it happened on a laptop during a suspend resume both
times, but it does not instill confidence that it is not robust enough to
stand up to this, not to mention unexpected power offs and the like. Also,
the XFS developers are no longer paid by SGI to do XFS from what I
understand, so that's another strike.

Ciao,
wt
--