Deleted user, mailstore for user remains, recovery possible?

Sean Colins -Core Professional Services sean at corequick.com
Mon Oct 23 15:17:40 EDT 2006

I have a client running Mac OS X 10.3.9 as a mail server.

The owner mistakenly deleted an employees user account in Server
Admin, and when he realized his mistake and recreated the account he
thankfully created it with a different long and short user name, and
a different userid.

Because he recreated the account in this way, the users original mail
store was never written over, and it happens to be in the mail store
directory.

They wish to recover this mail data for the user, and I want to help
them.

In my testing, as expected, simply moving and renaming the users mail
store, then recreating the user and moving the message folder back
does not work, even if a cyrus reconstruct is performed.

I've been working on this for hours, and have searched all of the
appropriate list archives to no avail. Has anyone done this before in
a similar environment and if so, does anyone know how to cleanly
import this mail store back into the realm of the living without
risking or damaging the rest of the functioning mail server?

TIA,

Sean Colins